Monday 21 February 2011

Moxie- Interview for ID Mag


Since she started DJ'ing in her early teens, Alice Moxom, AKA Moxie, has been making a name for herself on the London scene, with any one set throwing up the best in house, disco, Detroit techno, dubstep and grime.


Last year, not only did Moxie graduate from her Surface Design degree at London College of Communication, she was also invited to play at the legendary Dubstep night DMZ alongside Mala and Loefah and Coki. Moxie has DJ'd in LA, NY and across Europe, as well as at Glastonbury and Outlook Festival, while also taking to the radio airwaves on Rinse FM, Kiss and Resonance. When she's not behind the decks, you can find Moxie running the Deviation club night or designing in her studio. i-D tracked the lady down to find out who she's into, how she got into DJ'ing and what she has for i-D's exclusive Moxie Mix, listen here.
What have you been up to recently? I've just been working on a few mixes and on my art. Music and art have always been the two things that have made me happy in life. Once my website is up and running it will give people a clearer idea about my styles. I also run a night called Deviation along with BBC Radio 1 DJ Benji B and have been working on some great events for this year, unfortunately I can't give too much away so you'll have to wait and see! 
How did you get into music and when did you start DJ'ing? I've always been into music, from a really young age, my parents would always have music playing around the house, a lot of Blues, Aretha Franklin and Bob Dylan. When I was at school I starting going to an after school DJ workshop and that was my introduction. At first I didn't take it too seriously but it made me want to get out there and go record shopping. Since then I've been collecting vinyl and have spent a lot of tine in my room practising! Luckily it's all paid off.  
What has been your favourite place to DJ? I'd have to say Plastic People is my favourite club to play at and to go to, I love getting lost in the darkness, it's as though I'm back in my bedroom DJ'ing on my own. And then for clubnights it would have to be Deviation as I know exactly what the crowd likes, and then of course playing at the legendary dubstep night DMZ was great as the guys just let me get on and do my own thing.
Who are your favourite producers at the moment? Nicolas Jaar - he's a 21-year old producer and DJ from New York and has released on a record label called Wolf & Lamb. His stuff is really soulful and has a lot of depth to it. Julio Bashmore is another producer and DJ I'm into, he's from Bristol and I recently caught him playing at Fabric. James Blake is another, who just has an incredible amount of soul in his productions, I was always a fan of his beats; when I heard 'Limit To Your Love' I had no idea he could sing and since then I've been hooked. Boddika/Instra:Mental is one of my favourite producers, signed to a label called Swamp 8. There is a tune by him called 'When I Dip' and ever since I heard it, it has been one of my favourite tunes to play in the club, it's so much fun to mix. 
What are we likely to hear in a Moxie mix? A bit of everything really, I like to mix it up and play across a few different genres. You could hear anything from House to Grime. My mix for i-D is a blend of old and new tunes that I really like at the moment, the playlist includes tunes from Prince right up to Gucci Mane.
What are the five tunes you currently have on rotation? 
1. Kanye West - Devil In A New Dress Ft Rick Ross
2. Omar S - Set It Up
3. Frankie Knuckles- Baby Wants To Ride
4. Teedra Moses - Be Your Girl
5. BeyoncĂ© - Jollyrancher
Text Zainab Jama
Photography Shaniqwa Jarvis
Styling Coquito Cassibba
Make-up Philippa Wulwik
Hair Katja Thiele



See original article HERE

And thanks ID for cutting our mention out.

No comments:

Post a Comment